The PS3 will be available in “Clear Black” in North America, Europe and Asia on November 17; Japan gets it on November 11. The console will come in two flavors: one with a 20 GB HDD – sans some extra features – for $500 (€ 500 in Europe) and a full-featured 60 GB HDD inclusive version for $600 (€600).
Following the somewhat-similar path to Microsoft, Sony has excluded Memory Stick, SD and other memory input options in the cheaper version, along with no HDMI input and Wi-fi support; the more expensive version will not be crippled. Both will feature the Blu-ray player and will feature full support for 1080p displays, along with support for the PlayStation Online Network.
Sony has also put up the final specifications of the PlayStation 3, as well as hardware shots (below).
- CPU: Cell Processor
- GPU: RSX™
- Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-based processing)
- Memory: 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
- HDD: 2.5″ Serial ATA | (20GB) | (60GB)
- I/O: USB 2.0 (x4) | MemoryStick /SD/CompactFlash
- Communication: Ethernet | (x1 / 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR), Wireless controller (Bluetooth)
- AV Output: Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p; HDMI OUT (x1 / HDMI NextGen); AV MULTI OUT (x1); DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) (x1)
- Optical Media: BD/DVD/CD Drive (Read Only): Maximum Read Speed BD 2x (BD-ROM); DVD 8x (DVD-ROM); CD 24x (CD-ROM); SACD 2x
- Dimensions: Approximately 325mm x 98mm (H) x 274mm (D)
- Weight: Approximately 5 kg
Lo, and behold: the Sony
grill PlayStation 3:
Joystiq recently posted an email from an extremely committed Sony fanboy. “Committed” is an understatement here. In the letter, the poor Indian gamer requests Sony to give him a Playstation 3 for 400 dollars as otherwise it’d be too expensive for him; and in return offered ten whole years of free service. Although this sounds like a spoof of some sort, if you go on and read the letter you’ll it is an earnest request. Of course, it’s a bit silly; ridiculous even. But it looks like the guy’s pretty serious.
WITH MY DREAM COMPANY “SONY” IF THERE IS ANYTHING LIKE TRAINING COURSES THAT YOU GIVE AND HIRE PEOPLE IN YOUR COMPANY(ONLY THE VIDEO GAME SECTION I MEAN) THEN PLZ SIR I AM READY TO DO IT I AM READY TO WORK FOR THE FIRST 10 YEARS WITH YOU FOR FREE I MEAN WITHOUT BEING PAID, YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO SPEND FOR MY FOOD, CLOTHING AND RESIDENCE I REALLY MEAN IT GAMING IS IN MY BLOOD AND PLAYSTATION IS THE HEART THAT KEPS IT ALIVE FOREVER I KNOW THIS MAY SOUND AS A PIECE OF JUNK TO YOU BUT ITS SONY ITSELF WHO SAID THAT IF U HAVE A DREAM NO MATTER WHAT GO FOR IT and so i did.
The full email after the jump.