In a deathblow to the gaming industry, EA announced that it will acquire both BioWare and Pandemic Studios, two of the finest game developers in the world. The former is well-known for its action role-playing games, including upcoming Mass Effect which is being published by Microsoft, though the property is now owned by EA. Pandemic is popular for creating the Mercenaries series, one of the best open-world games out there. Both studios employ roughly 800 people spread across four locations: Edmonton, Canada; Los Angeles; Austin; and Brisbane, Australia.
“These are two of the most respected studios in the industry and I’m glad to be working with them again. They’ll make a strong contribution to our strategic growth initiatives on quality, online gaming and developing new intellectual properties,” said John Riccitiello, EA’s Chief Executive Officer. “We also expect this will drive long-term value for our shareholders.”
“Pandemic Studios remains focused on attracting the best talent and creating blockbuster action games,” said Josh Resnick, president and cofounder of Pandemic Studios. “As a worldwide publishing leader, EA represents the ideal partner to bring our titles to market as global entertainment events.”
“We are truly excited by John Riccitiello’s new vision for EA,” said Ray Muzyka, co-founder and CEO of BioWare. “This vision is consistent with BioWare’s focus on crafting the highest quality story-driven games in the world. It will enable us to further the careers of the passionate, creative and hard working teams at BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Austin.”
Announced some time back, here’s details on Destroy All Humans! 2, the upcoming sequel to the world-domination title from Pandemic.
Sequel to the widely acclaimed hit – Destroy All Humans! 2 irreverent Sci-Fi action gaming experience enters the swinging sixties with all new game features, expanded open-world gameplay and co-op multiplayer. Crypto returns to take on the world of free love, the Cold War and other 60’s era clichés, causing destruction around the globe with an upgraded arsenal of alien weaponry and enhanced mental abilities – battling a variety of enemies from secret agents and giant creatures, to Soviet Forces and ninja warriors.
- Play As The Alien – Destroy All Humans! 2 turns the tables on traditional sci-fi action games allowing gamers to play as the Alien and take on the most feared enemy in the galaxy – mankind
- Unleash Massive Destruction – Players have total freedom to destroy anything and manipulate everything in the world – battling enemies with an explosive arsenal of alien weaponry, or wreak havoc from above in their Jetpack or UFO
- Probe the World – Explore 5 open-world game environments – from Bay City, to Albion, to Takoshima Island and more. Start new story missions without returning to the Mothership or explore the open world with a huge variety of side missions relevant to the game’s storyline
- Co-Op Multiplayer – Team up with another player and Destroy All Humans together via split-screen Co-Op Game mode. Play through the entire single player game together or replay missions already completed. Plus, play in special two player mini games throughout the game like PK Tennis and more
- New Weapons, Mental Abilities and Upgrades – Take on the world with enhanced alien weaponry, including the all new Meteor Strike, and Disclocator, or utilize your mental abilities with old and new favorites like PK, Cortex Scan, Transmogrify and Mind Flash. Upgrade your weapons and abilities or purchase new ones through the Abduction Vault on the Mothership.
Irreverent Personality – Enjoy sidesplitting humor lampooning humanity and parodying the hallmarks of the sixties: free love, counter culture, the space race, spy movies, the cold war, and hippies
Proven Developer – Developed by Pandemic Studios creators of critically acclaimed games Full Spectrum Warrior, Mercenaries and Star Wars Battlefront.