Hoping to cash in on gamers’ achievements, EA and Jostens have announced that they will let players of Madden NFL 08 purchase their own custom-designed “Ring of a Champion” based on their performance in the game. The ring will showcase the progress of the gamer, with each ring customized to recognize the player’s advancements through the game. These rings will be available for purchase starting August 14 after the game has been released.
The Ring of a Champion series will serve as a visual tracking system for a player’s success within the game. As Madden NFL 08 gamers accomplish various achievements, they will progress through five different levels. Once a player has reached level three, the ring can be purchased through Jostens’ website utilizing the code provided within game. In addition to the 32 NFL team logos players can incorporate into their ring, the tops and sides of the rings can also be customized. If a player is able to execute an extraordinary achievement they can obtain the Epic ring status, which allows for enhanced design and uniqueness.
Minneapolis- based Jostens, creators of 27 out of the 41 Super Bowl Championship rings, and EA have worked together to create the collection of Madden NFL 08 rings, incorporating a unique ring design feature embedded in the game. Jostens will offer three unique ring designs that are available in non-precious metals as well as 10K white and yellow gold. Gamers can also choose from a variety of colors to add to further customize. Rings will range in price from $149 for a non precious ring to $495 for a 10K Gold ring. Each ring incorporate simulated stones chosen by the gamer as well as cubic zirconium stones in the design and gamers will also be given the option to add genuine diamonds if they prefer the ultimate in their Ring of a Champion.
Madden NFL 08 will be available next month on Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, PSP, DS, Wii, Gamecube and PC. Below are some screenshots of the rings in action.
BBC reports that Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time has topped a poll of readers of Edge magazine and industry experts to list the top 100 games of all time. Originally released for Nintendo 64 ten years ago, the game has garnered critical acclaim and has achieved perfect scores from many publications. Interestingly, five of the top 10 titles were made for Nintendo consoles.
Other platforms are present in the top 10: Xbox has one representative with Halo: Combat Evolved; PC with Half-Life 2 and PS2 with Final Fantasy XII. Next-generation consoles were present, too, with titles including Pro Evolution Soccer 6, Oblivion, Virtua Fighter 5 and Crackdown.
The full list of the top 100 games is now available in a collector’s volume called Edge Presents: The 100 Best Videogames, which has been on sale since July 3.
Ubisoft has announced Surfs Up!, an upcoming surfing game tie-in to the movie of the same name. The game will hit stores July 26, ahead of the movie’s August 10 debut, for the PS3, PS2, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, Gamecube, DS, GBA and PC.
Developed by Ubisoft’s award-winning Montreal studio, Surf’s Up™ takes players on a tubular surf adventure with Cody Maverick, an up-and-coming surfer, entering his first pro competition. The game plunges players into the exciting world of surfing, featuring thrilling surf tricks, cool surf locales and all the characters from the Surf’s Up movie. Film clips featuring all the characters from the film – including Chicken Joe (Jon Heder) and surfing icons Kelly Slater and Rob Machado (themselves) – are showcased in the game.
Remember the awesome TMNT games of the yesteryears? Well, hopefully those yesteryears will become present, as Ubisoft has announced that they are creating a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game based on the upcoming CGI flick. In development at the publisher’s Montreal and Quebec studios, the game will feature the turtles’ signature acrobatic moves, team combat and intense fighting. Scoop:
The new TMNT video game uses the same dark and dangerous environments and adventurous themes featured in the new TMNT CGI film being developed by Imagi Animation Studios and Mirage Licensing. The TMNT movie takes place in a New York City plagued by secretive villains and strange, otherworldly creatures. Faced with these perils, the Turtles will experience their most trying time as heroes and as a family, as Raphael, Donatello and Michelangelo lose their focus and struggle to maintain their unity and ninja discipline. In the movie and in the highly immersive video game adventure, it’s up to Leonardo and the faithful father figure Splinter to reunite the band of brothers and save New York City from a monstrous evil that lurks around every corner. Video game players will engage in over-the-top acrobatic navigation, collaborative combat and powerful fighting moves.
The game will hit stores worldwide March 13, 2007, just ahead of the film’s release on March 23. It will be available on PC, PS2, PSP, GBA, DS, Gamecube, Wii and Xbox 360.
Hoping to see the likes of Mudvayne, Static-X or Paul Oakenfold in the next Need for Speed game? Well, EA just dashed your dreams then. The company revealed the soundtrack listing for Carbon, offering up 30 tracks from three major genres: hip-hop, rock and electronica. These genres also reflect the game’s three distinct car classes: exotics, muscles and tuners. Muscle cars get the rock treatment from Kyuss, Eagles of Death metal and Wolfmother, while Japanese Tuner cars get the electronica groove from Ladytron, Goldfrapp and others. Exotic cars are represented by hip-hop from Pharell, Lady Sovereign and others.
Below is the full listing:
- Dynamite MC – Bounce
- Dynamite MC – After Party
- Eagles Of Death Metal – Don’t Speak (I Came to Make A Bang!)
- Ekstrak feat. Know-1 – Hard Drivers
- Every Move A Picture – Signs Of Life
- Gary Numan/Tubeway Army – Are ‘Friends’ Electric
- Grandmaster Flash And The Furious – Scorpio Five
- Goldfrapp – Ride A White Horse (Serge Santiago Remix)
- Kyuss – Hurricane
- Lady Sovereign – Luv Me Or Hate Me
- Ladytron – Sugar (Jagz Kooner Remix)
- Ladytron – Fighting In Built Up Areas
- melody. – FEEL THE RUSH (Junkie XL Remix)
- Metro Riots – Thee Small Faces
- Part 2 feat. Fallacy – One Of Dem Days (Remix)
- Pharrell feat. Lauren – Skateboard P Presents: Show You How To Hustle
- Priestess – I Am The Night, Colour Me Black
- Roots Manuva – No Love
- Spank Rock – What It Look Like
- Sway – Hype Boys
- The Bronx – Around The Horn
- The Presets – Steamworks
- The Vacation – I’m No Good
- Tiga – Good As Gold
- Tigarah – Girl Fight (Mr. D Hyphy Mix)
- Tomas Andersson – Washing Up (Tiga Remix)
- Valient Thorr – Heatseeker
- Vitalic – My Friend Dario
- Wolfmother – Joker And The Thief
- Yonderboi – People Always Talk About The Weather (Junkie XL Remix)
Need for Speed: Carbon is marked for release on November 1 for PS2, PSP, PS3, Wii, Xbox 360, Xbox, Gamecube, GBA, DS, PC and mobile.
Proving that the Star Wars brand is still strong, and that good games really do sell, LucasArts has announced that LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy has sold 1.1 million units worldwide within one week of release. Since its release on September 12, the game has sold over a million copies spanning eight platforms including PS2, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, Gamecube, PC, DS and GBA.
“There’s definitely something for everyone in LEGO Star Wars II, and the sales and reviews so far are proving it,” said Jim Ward, president of LucasArts. “This is the type of fun, accessible game everyone in the family can enjoy. It appeals to so much more than just the traditional gaming audience.”
Set in a tongue-in-cheek Star Wars galaxy, LEGO Star Wars II allows gamers to build and battle their way through the events of Star Wars: Episodes IV through VI.
To satisfy the musical needs for future owners of The Sims 2: Pets, the billionth expansion pack for the ever-popular game, EA has revealed a roster of more than 25 songs that will be featured in the forthcoming title. Songs from Pussycat Dolls, Flaming Lips and Aly & AJ are present, along with a mashup of others from genres ranging from indie and hip hop to country and pop. All songs have been re-recorded in Simlish.
Below is the full track listing:
- Aly & AJ – Chemicals React – (PC and Console)
- Brazil – Candles Cast Long Shadows – (PC and Console)
- Cowboy Troy – I play Chicken with a Train – (PC and Console)
- Cut Copy – Future – (Console)
- Dena Deadly – Fortuzala – PC and Console
- The Flaming Lips – Free Radicals – (PC and Console)
- Hot Chip – Colours – (Console)
- Hot Chip – So Glad To See You – (Console)
- Isabelle Huang – Hit It – (PC and Console)
- Jessi Malay – Topsy Turvy – (PC and Console)
- Joanna J – Unthinkable – (PC and Console)
- Kristen Dex – Come On Come On – (PC and Console)
- New Amsterdams – Turn Out the Light – (PC and Console)
- Prescott – Dixie Dixie Where Have You Been All My Life – (PC and Console)
- Prescott – Hurt Nobody PC and Console
- Ralph Myerz and The Jack Herren Band – Boombox Breakdown – (Console)
- Saving Jane – Girl Next Door – (PC and Console)
- Skye Sweetnam – Boyhunter – (PC and Console)
- Something for Rockets – I Never Know – (PC and Console)
- Tanaila – Wow Wow Wow – (PC and Console)
- The Films – Black Shoes – (PC and Console)
- The Format – The Compromise – (PC and Console)
- The Netw0rk- Topy Apa Ty – (PC and Console)
- Pussycat Dolls – Don’t Cha – (PC and Console)
- Touchstone – Simpatico – (PC and Console)
- W of P3 – Aff Wubbas Doo – (PC and Console)
The Sims 2: Pets will be barking its way to stores on October 17 on the PS2, Gamecube and PC. Late October and November will see versions for the PSP, GBA and DS; a mobile version is also coming soon.
These have gone gold:
- Gothic 3
- Mage Knight: Apocalypse
- Pacific Storm
And these were shipped:
- Age of Pirates
- Company of Heroes
- Faces of War
- Joint Task Force
- Lego Star Wars II (PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Gamecube, DS, PSP, GBA and PC)
- NHL 2K7 (Xbox, Xbox 360)
To make the forthcoming Family Guy game even more “freakin’ sweet”, 2K Games announced that it has bagged the cast of the popular TV show. Seth MacFarlane, creator and producer of the series, and the rest of the cartoon’s main cast will be providing voice talent in the game that is scheduled to launch on current-generation consoles this Fall.
“We are excited to have Seth MacFarlane involved in the Family Guy video game,” said Christoph Hartmann, President, 2K. “MacFarlane’s voice alongside the other popular talent on board – Seth Green, Mila Kunis, Alex Borstein and Adam West – will definitely bring the humorous story and animated world of Family Guy to life in this must-have game for fans of the show.”
Offering a huge variety of songs in FIFA 07 is EA, who announced that 40 songs will be featured in the forthcoming football game, representing musicians from 21 different countries. Below is the full track list:
- Angélique Kidjo – Wele Wele
- Belasco – Chloroform
- Bersuit Vergarabat – O Vas a Misa…
- Bitman & Roban – Get On The Floor
- Blasted Mechanism – Blasted Empire
- Boy Kill Boy – Civil Sin
- caBas – La Cadena de Oro
- Carlos Jean – Get Down
- d.o.c.h.! – Was in der Zertung Steht
- Elefant Uh-oh – Hello
- Epik High – Fly
- Fertig, los! – Sie ist in mich verliebt
- Infadels – Can’t Get Enough (Mekon Remix)
- Keane – Nothing In My Way
- Malibu Stacy – Los Angeles
- Mellowdrone – Oh My
- Mobile – New York Minute
- Morning Runner – Gone Up In Flames
- Muse – Supermassive Black Hole
- Nightmare Of You – Dear Scene, I Wish I Were Deaf
- Outlandish – Kom Igen
- Paul Oakenfold – Beatiful Goal
- Persephone’s Bees – Muzika Dlya Fil’ma
- Plastilina Mosh – Peligroso Pop
- Polysics – Tei! Tei! Tei!
- The Prototypes – Kaleidoscope
- Ralph Myerz and The Jack Herren Band – Deepest Red
- Seu Jorge – Tive Razão
- Shiny Toy Guns – You Are The One
- Stijn – Gasoline & Matches
- Suferosa – Royal Uniform
- Tahiti 80 – Big Day
- The Feeling – Sewn
- The Pinker Tones – TMCr Grand Finale
- The Sheer – Understand
- The Young Punx – You’ve Got To…
- Tigarah – Girl Fight
- Trash Inc. – Punk Rock Chick
- Us3 – Kick This
- Young Love – Discotech
FIFA 07, developed by EA Canada, will be released for the PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, DS, GBA, PSP and PC later this year.