An updated fact sheet was sent out for Warhound, an upcoming open-ended FPS from Techland, offering new details on the game. Set for release sometime next year for PC and Xbox 360, the game will offer full freedom to players and will offer weapons, battlefield tactics and vehicles for the player to peruse. Here’s the deal:
Warhound is an open-ended First-Person Shooter (FPS) set in modern times. In the game, you will play as an ex-Delta Force operative, now working for the world’s largest military contractor. In Warhound, you’ll complete a variety of challenging missions in battlefields around the world, while later uncovering a massive terrorist plot that targets the United States and thousands of its citizens.
Warhound focuses on complete freedom of choice, and as such, you will have unprecedented opportunities to pick your missions, weapons, battlefield tactics and vehicles. You will select mission start times, insertion/extraction points and the types (land, sea or air) of insertion. You will also need to keep on top of your training, finances and position in the highly-competitive mercenary market to ensure you receive only the most select missions. More successful missions equal more money, which can be used to buy new equipment and weapons for future jobs. Warhound’s innovative First Person Perspective (FPP) cover system will allow you to bring the battle to your enemies in ways you’ve never dreamed of before.
More information after the jump. Here are some nice high-resolution screenshots from the game:
Unprecedented freedom of choice in an FPS
- Tackle missions in the order you choose, create your own path through each mission’s objectives
- Plan your tactics and equipment load-outs
- Buy satellite photos, recon data and other intelligence about the battlefield situation
- Pick a deployment time and location, then pay for the means of getting in and getting out
- Train your character in several skills, including climbing, repair, and weapons proficiency
- Skills are earned and developed as in the real world – for ex., shooting ranges improve accuracy, running tracks and climbing walls boosts cover and movement skills
- Develop and use skill specializations to gain advantages in combat; new skills offer fresh opportunities for advancement through the mercenary ranks, and new ways to complete missions
FPP cover system
- For the first time in FPP/FPS games, you’ll be able to use the innovative cover system, which will forever change your way of looking at FPS games. Use items, trees, buildings and other elements of the environment to hide from the torrent of bullets. Shoot at your enemies from behind safe covers.
Detailed and realistic economy
- Earn money for each successful mission and by selling materials picked up on the battlefield
- Use your newly earned riches to buy weapons, ammo and new gadgets
- Invest in learning new skills
Constantly changing battlefields
- Every mission is laid out differently each time you play it, enemy units take up new positions, post new patrols, lay traps in different locations, set up ambushes, etc.
- Enemy A.I. takes into account how you’re playing the mission, and counters with unique strategies and tactics
Interactive, destructible game environments
- A fully interactive environment means plenty of surprises for the enemy – destroy buildings they are hiding in, set villages on fire to “smoke them out”, cause avalanches and knock down trees to clear your line of fire or to create obstacles for the enemy and cover for you
Rivalry with other mercenaries
- Climb up the career ladder and increase your reputation among the elite mercenaries of the world
- Successful players will earn prestige among their peers, which leads to better and more lucrative contracts