The official system requirements for Windows Vista have been released, and unlike previous assumptions the prerequisites aren’t too high.
As per the announcement, a “Windows Vista Capable PC” must sport a minimum 800MHz processor, 512 MB Ram, a DirectX 9 compatible graphics card and at least 15 GB free space on the hard drive. However, these specifications will not qualify for the “Premium Ready PC” title which will require the following:
- 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
- 1 GB of system memory.
- A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2.
- 128 MB of graphics memory.
- 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
- DVD-ROM Drive3.
- Audio output capability.
- Internet access capability.
To check where your PC stands, download the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor which will check the configuration of your PC and recommend one of the five versions of the OS for you.